How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask attySince1978 Your Own Question
attySince1978, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 931
Experience:  Attorney for 30 years with over 500 arbitrations and trials representing over 2,000 clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
attySince1978 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ohio - I received 4 months of unemployment while employed what

Customer Question

Ohio - I received 4 months of unemployment while employed what are the penalties for Ohio unemployment fraud The total amount of received was $2,700.What are typically the fine amounts?, I'm sure I will have to make amends to the $2700.00 and will I will I have t o go to court? I am currently unemployed again. Is this considdered a fellony?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  attySince1978 replied 8 years ago.
I believe that the best way for you to proceed would for you to contact Ohio Unemployment Department.
You should advise them that you have been overpaid $2,700 and wish to make arrangements for repayment of the funds.
It is only considered a crime if you intentional defrauded the Department out of unemployment funds.
You must advise them that receipt of the money was overpayment.
Repay the funds as quickly as possible before the government does their own accounting and finds the $2,700 funds going to you.
If they discover that the funds have been paid to you before you notify them then they will conclude that you intended to defraud them.
If you advise them first and repay the funds than they may not consider filing any felony fraud charges against you. It is better for you to contact them first. Of course, you should always consult with an attorney in your area.

Please accept my answer so that I can receive the $7.50 as my portion of the fee. In addition, a small bonus from you would be greatly appreciated and will allow me to continue to provide this type of valuable service.
attySince1978 and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The State contacted me. Before I received this email from you, I called them and admitted I made a mistake. They said that they would send me information on repayment..... Nothing about felony-fraud charges...... What is the usual penalty?