HOW DO I FILE A CLAIM AGAINST GEICO INSURANCE MY 16 YR OLD…

Customer Question
HOW DO I FILE A...
HOW DO I FILE A CLAIM AGAINST GEICO INSURANCE? MY 16 YR OLD SON WAS HIT WHILE RIDING A ATV AND KILLED BY A GEICO CUSTOMER.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
12/1/2008
Lawyer: ADillon, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
ADillon
ADillon, Lawyer

Hello.

I will try to help y ou with this.

I am assuming that a vehicle collided with the SUV (on which your son was a passenger), and that GEICO insured the driver of the vehicle (or the vehicle itself). Is that basically right?

Do you have the accident report?

Do you know whether you (or your son) had "underinsured" motorist coverage?

MY SON WAS ON AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE IN FRONT OF OUR HOME

Thanks for that information, and I am sorry for your loss.

In order to pursue the claim against GEICO, you will primarily have to assert the claim against their driver. In all likelihood, however, they will settle with you without having to go to court. Typically you begin the process by writing a "demand letter" to GEICO, demanding their policy limits. Of course, things will become more complicated if they deny liability. You also need to be careful about such claims to make sure that you are maximizing you recovery. There are sometimes umbrella policies, or "Underinsured motorist" policies that provide additional coverage. Also, technically the claim will have to be made by your son's Estate. That is not a big deal at this point, but ultimately you will have to have an estate set up and the personal representative of the estate will consummate the settlement.

Please let me know if you have further questions about this. If this has answered your question, please click 'accept' so that I can receive credit for this response.