Christy
Christy, Attorney
Experience:  Former General Counsel for nationwide corporation. Contracts, rental properties, business law.
11839741

I have been in a relationship with someone for 6 years now,

I have been in a relationship with someone for 6 years now, I want to break up with him but he tells me if I do then he will take me to court and sue me for some money I owe him, is there something I can do about this?
Expert:  Christy replied 8 years ago.
Customer

Do you feel that you legally owe him any money?

Thanks,
Christy
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I know I owe him some money, and have tried to pay him at time but him tells me to not worry about it. Now he is telling me if I don't pay him the money just because I want to break up with him that he will take me to court to get it all back at one time.
Expert:  Christy replied 8 years ago.
Customer

If he refuses to take any money from you, the best defense you have is to tape record your offer and his statement that he does not want you to pay him back. Also, you could write him a check and keep the proof that he did not cash it.

If you can get him to accept the money, or a partial amount of the money, make it a condition that he signs a statement that the claim is paid in full.

If you can get evidence that he doesn't expect to be paid back and is using that merely as a threat to keep you from leaving him, he would most likely not be able to win in court.

If I have answered your question, please click Accept. I am happy to answer follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Thanks,
Christy