How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28066
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 19 and I have a clean driving record except for an accident

This answer was rated:

I am 19 and I have a clean driving record except for an accident which was ruled the fault of the other driver a year ago. I recently received a ticket for passing on a blind curve. It was a parked bus, and the driver of the bus could see up the hill. I went to the court to pay the $90 fine and plead nolo contendere, as that would not put any points on my license , and if I was convicted of such my license would be suspended. When I went, they told me that my court appearance was mandatory because of my age, and that they were uncertain whether or not the judge would accept my plea. I am concerned that I may have my license suspended. Is going to court and pleading nolo the right way to go?
Pleading no contest, is not an admission of guilt, nor an admission of innocence. It is a way to resolve your case, without a trial. For a charge like this, the Judge will decide based upon your driving record, if you should be adjudicated or receive a with-held adjudication. When you go to court, you should ask the Judge for an offer, to resolve your case, that day. If the offer sounds like it is in your best interest, then you can plead no contest and resolve the matter. You may also ask the Judge if you could take driving school, in exchange for no points on your license. If the offer is not something you want to accept, you may want to look into hiring a traffic attorney and fighting your case.
LegalKnowledge and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you