How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask B. James Your Own Question
B. James
B. James, Govt. Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26
Experience:  10 years experience with govt. agencies, plus extensive retirement experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
B. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lost a small claims court judgement (I was not represented

This answer was rated:

I have lost a small claims court judgement (I was not represented by a lawyer) I just need to know if the defendants can open 'motions' that were denied in the judgement or would they have to appeal the case as a whole to adress any specific motions that were denied?

Generally, you need to file an appeal the case as a whole and you would address the specific denied motions separately as alleged errors in the appeal.


Hope this is helpful. If so, kindly accept the answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Generally? When would it NOT be the case to have to open the WHOLE case to adjust specific motions?

In the circumstances you describe, the defendants should have asked for attorney fees at the trial of the matter. It is possible for the defendants to file a motion for attorney fees, but there is usually a time limit to do so. For example, in Virginia an order becomes final in 21 days and thereafter a court cannot change it. If you lost your case more than 30 days ago, you are likely to be in the clear with respect to additional motions from the defendants.

B. James and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you