Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am a renter. Due to a fire which started in the basement

Customer Question
I am a renter....
I am a renter. Due to a fire which started in the basement and no fault of mine , had to vacate the property mid month. Am I entitled to a refund of the last 2 weeks rent already paid as well as the security deposit/last months rent paid initially? This was an involuntary and unexpected move and has been a great expense for me. I did not have renters insurance BUT I do now ! I live in Nashua, NH
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
12/1/2008
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 years ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Yes, if the tenancy is ended due to impossibility of occupancy, the monies should be returned unless the landlord can place you in alternate suitable housing.
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney