How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 56556
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i recently broke up with a girl, while i was with her she

This answer was rated:

i recently broke up with a girl, while i was with her she opened a bank account completely in my name, and she gave me the cash to deposit into the account, she is in no way tied to the account nor does she have any records of deposit or that the money was hers, can i get in legal trouble for keeping the money
was the intent that you would return the money to her?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the intent was it was going to be a shared accnt so she could save up cash to buy a car, as i said she has absolutely no written anything that it was ever her money or even deposited

Since its in your name, its your money and if there is nothing in writing even better. BUT if she can show that the intent was a joint account, that she made deposits, that to permit you to keep it all is unfair (unjust enrichment) and that you held it in trust, then her claim becomes more viable.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
if it is unjust enrichment i do not mind if a civil judgement comes against me, i just want to make sure i will do no jail time? that is another question, i swear i will tip
This is not a criminal matter. No jail time. You face potential monetary claims at worse so dont worry.
INFOLAWYER and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you
Anytime. Good luck