Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,
5180018

I have a nephew who was at the time of the crime was 14y/o

I have a nephew who was at the time of the crime was 14y/o - burglary on first degree, what are his chances of getting a probation or being sent to JD?
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 8 years ago.
If this is his firt offense due to his age and so long as no one was injured then his chance os probation is very good. Most likely he will be charged and prosecuted as a JD and then receive probation as part of a sentence. He will enter a plea of not guilty if he hasn't already and he should be appointed an attorney to represent him at the first appearance.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We have no legal representation at this time. Will the court provide a legal representation such as a public defender? So, you're saying he should enter a plea of "not guilty", on his first appearance? Is this what you call an "arraingment"?
Yes the court should assign a public defender to represent. Yes enter a plea of NOT GUILTY at the first appearance. Yes it is the arraingment process where he is informed of the official charges against him.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your response. This is a first, legal situation for our family, and am a bit scared. Unfortunately, my nephew was in his rebellious moment at the time. He is much better now, and hopefully learned something from this event.