Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My boyfriend recently tried to buy a gun in PA and when they

My boyfriend recently tried to buy a gun in PA and when they ran a background check and there was a failure to show court date for a DUI in MD in 2000 that he was unaware. They are holding him in a county jail since Friday. They will not tell him much and said he maybe send back to MD but they were not sure when. Should he get a lawyer for PA or MD and any advice.
Thanks for your question. They may appoint him a lawyer here for extradition hearing. He may also want to consider waiving extradition here. He would be returned to MD here.

Once returned here he may also be allowed bail in the matter. You would be better off here looking for a Maryland Criminal lawyer. He will end up there after extradition here. I am giving you reference to the DUI law in Maryland. He will be lookign at a fine here and fees plus the lawyer.

http://www.lstamm.com/marylandduilaws.html

Here's lawyer referral for Maryland..

http://www.msba.org/public/referral.htm

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So do nothing while he has been in the county jail in pa since friday with respect to getting a lawyer and wait to get a lawyer in MD when he is sent there right?
Well there is a chance they will appoint him a lawyer in PA if he is indigent. Also the reality is that the court almost always upholds the right to extradite and most cases the boyfriend just waives because it saves time.

He will probably see a judge sometime Monday here..your money would be better spent in Maryland. the lawyer ther may arrange bond and assist. He won't be released until he goes there first..