Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I pretended to be someone else online and on the phone. A ma

Customer Question
de up identity, no one...
I pretended to be someone else online and on the phone. A ma de up identity, no one real. Is this illegal?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/12/2008
Lawyer: Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney replied 9 years ago
Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney

Dear trying,

Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, oftentimes there are future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

Using a false identity is illegal if it is for the purpose of defrauding someone or some company or entity. For instance, if you pretend to be your mother for the purposes of securing a loan, that would be illegal. However, if you are merely seeking to pretect your privacy without inducing another fraudulently, it is not illegal to fail to identify yourself.

------------------

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. If so, please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, in order that it be recognized as such and I receive credit for same from the company. Your promptness is greatly appreciated. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you need additional related follow up on this particular question afterwards, don't hesitate to Reply. And if you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of post. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Stephanie Joy

Please note: A times there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. In addition, if it is late at night, EST, and we are between postings, I may go get some shut eye, but I'll be back the next day, so never fear.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and fee agreement at my standard billable hour rate of $275.00, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only research, resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up if needed. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you and have a great day.

To be more specific, I lied about who I was to someone I met online and our interaction continued over to the phone. I made up a name based on nothing and an identity that was based on my own. I also lied about how I look. I have never met this person. We developed a relationship and I didn't use this identity to obtain any legal information or money or anything like that. Just talking.

Don't worry, you are fine given how far it didn't go. This is very NOT unusual when it comes internet only relationships - but it is also why they can't go further. I'm sure you have thought of this before, but if you want an in-person relationship (and the internet can certainly be an initial start) you are going to have to start the interaction with honesty. You don't have to tell all, but you will likely have to be honest about those facts you do wish to share (while putting nice 'color' to it of course). It would be a shame to meet a great person on line and realize that he/she may be the right one for you, only to realize that you didn't present your real self and so you likely can never meet him/her and pursue the relationship (without coming clean, anyway, and hoping for forgiveness).

Good luck! Meeting people via internet is a great way to meet people, but eventually it is nice to meet them in person.

I hope you have found this additional information informative and/or helpful. If so, please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, on 1 or more than 1 answers, in order that it be recognized as such and I receive credit for same from the company for the time and effort. Your promptness is greatly appreciated. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated, particularly when the customer included multiple questions in their single post and multiple answers and interaction were provided by the expert. If you need additional related follow up on this particular question afterwards, don't hesitate. And if you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of post. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Stephanie Joy

Please note: A times there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. In addition, if it is late at night, EST, and we are between postings, I may go get some shut eye, but I'll be back, so never fear. On Saturday, there will be greater gaps in time due to scheduling, for any needed follow up, but rest assured, by day's end it will be done.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may or may no pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and fee agreement at my standard billable hour rate of $275.00, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only research, resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you and have a great day.

Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney