Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have worked 21 years at the same company. They let me go

Customer Question
I have worked 21 years...
I have worked 21 years at the same company. They let me go 10-31-08 saying my job position was no longer needed. They kept 4 people who are considered new hires in the same department. Is there any legal action I can take for them letting me go, and not one of them?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
11/1/2008
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 9 years ago
If you can prove that the persons retained were under 40 and you are 40 or over, you can file a complaint of discrimination based upon age under the Age in Employment Discrimination Act (ADEA) and you begin by filing a complaint with the state commission on human/civil rights and/or the EEOC. If you were an employee without a written employment contract/agreement, you were an at will employee who could be terminated for any reason that is not discriminatory (age/race/sex/disability). If you show some circumstantial case of discrimination, you could have a good claim.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney