How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

I got divorced, and I received money because of compensation. And that was because I got operation done in my hands. Since I am divorced my ex-husband says that half of that money belongs to him. We are selling the house and the bank can refinance the house, and he has to sign a paper for the support for my two daughters, and he says no. That we have to go to court. My question is, does half of the money that I received belong to him? Or does he have to support my two daughters? I was with him for 18 years. And i also applied for Social Security because I can not work anymore.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 8 years ago.
Separate property is property that belongs to one spouse and is not subject to division in divorce. This includes property that a spouse brought to the marriage (a house, a business, pension funds) or assets or debts acquired in the name of one spouse during the marriage (an inheritance, personal injury award, or education loans).
Therefore he should not be entitled to your compensation from the injury to your hands.
The would be required to provide support for the children but you may need to have the court force him to pay child support.
Daniel Solutions and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 8 years ago.
You stated that you still need help. Do you have another question that you relisted or are you stating that you want a second opinion?