Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How do I go about getting a retraining order against my ex

Customer Question
husband?...
How do I go about getting a retraining order against my ex husband?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
11/1/2008
Lawyer: Gregory Boop, Lawyer (JD) replied 9 years ago
Gregory Boop
Gregory Boop, Lawyer (JD)
gemlady:

I have to assume you mean a restraining order... not a retraining order (we all want to "retrain" ex's).

The process is two-steps, temporary and permanent. First if you are in an abuse situation, get out, contact authorities, and worry about the legals later.

You would go to the local court where you live and file for a temporary restraining order. This can be a civil protection order or, if related to a criminal matter, a criminal restraining order. In most cases, there will be help at the courthouse to seek such an order or local legal aid can assist. The best way is to retain an attorney to get this done immediate (but, of course, that can be expensive).

That order is put in place without his being notified until after it is in place. He is given a hearing date. He must appear and contest it. There will be a hearing, at which time with cause, the order may become a permanent restraining order.
Gregory Boop
Gregory Boop, Lawyer (JD)
Gregory Boop
Gregory Boop
Gregory Boop, Lawyer (JD)