Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Hi, my neighbor harasses me whenever I am in my yard. I recently

Customer Question
Hi, my neighbor harasses...
Hi, my neighbor harasses me whenever I am in my yard. I recently started taping her and have a good 30 minutes of this which includes her cursing and making defamatory remarks. She is on tape daring me to hit her-deriding me for not being a man because I won't. To all this I have made no replies. She has told many neighbors that I am harassing her. (untrue) She is a school teacher and people apparently believe her. She is ruining my reputation. I would like them to hear this tape of her. If I give this to them could she sucessfully sue me for defamation of character? She is the only one talking on the tape. Jerry
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
11/1/2008
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 9 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

hi

she cant sue you for defamation of character - because that is based on untruths - and cameras don't lie, right? however, under FLA law, all parties must consent to the recording or the disclosure of the contents of any wire, oral or electronic communication - recording or disclosing without the consent of all parties is a felony. so if she did not give her consent to the taping and, certainly the dissimenation of the contents, she could charge you criminally. you can use this link to read that law

I have already checked into fla. statute ch. 934.03 which reads: "Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication."

I also read elsewhere that if my recording device is located anywhere in my front yard, that is an area where there is not a reasonable expectation of privacy for my neighbor.

Please look these matters over and let me know. Greatly appreciated, Jerry

hi

i caution you about releasing the tape to anyone - in 934.02 it states

2) "Oral communication" means any oral communication uttered by a person exhibiting an expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectation and does not mean any public oral communication uttered at a public meeting or any electronic communication.

my interpretation is that the exceptions are in regard to open meeting laws - and while you can have a security camera or film what is going on your property - there should have been notice given to her that she was being recorded - and that should appear on the tape - and then if she continued that is considered consent.

I have a sign in the front yard that says; "property under surveillance by video and audio"

and I've read that this is all that is required in my front yard.

Thanks, Jerry

hi

again, i do not think the law protects you if you dissiminate the contents of the tape - that is my opinion and interpretation of the law -

have you thought about seeking a protection order -you can go to the clerk of your court in your county and ask for the petition form - fill it out, state about the harassment, making detailed accounts and seek that - if that is issued and then violated the neighbor can be arrested.

Sam, Attorney at Law
Sam, Attorney at Law