How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lady Themis Your Own Question
Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7751
Experience:  General practice experience in many areas of law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lady Themis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I married a man in philippines, am I free to remarry in the

This answer was rated:

I married a man in philippines, am I free to remarry in the U.S.?
No. You must first get a divorce in order to remarry.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I married a man in the philippines who is still married to his previous wife in philippines.

he tried to come to the U.S. illegally. I would like to marry someone here in U.S..

Do I need to file some sort of paper saying the marriage was illegal,in order to

remarry in the states to my new fiance? Must I return to the philippines to file some

sort of annulment, or should the U.S. embassy send their letter saying what he

did was illegal and have me file that?

In that case, your marriage may be void if bigamy voids a marriage under Phillipine law. If so, you are free to remarry without any paperwork.
Lady Themis and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you