How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

both military married 1yr no children. wife wanting divorce

This answer was rated:

both military married 1yr no children. wife wanting divorce deployed Iraq. husband stationed in japan. how to proceed
If he does not object to a divorce, you can file for an uncontested divorce in the state where you were married and it can be done remotely or by finding one attorney to handle the entire process for both of you. The attorney will send the petition out to you for both of your signatures and can process the uncontested divorce fairly quickly, especially if there is no dispute over any property.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what if he contest
If he contests, then you would have to each have separate attorneys handling this for you in the states, since you would not be able to get back and forth to handle the matter.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
where would I get the paper work for the no contested divorce and how to find a good attorney
If you are filing in NM, goto:

To find an attorney, goto this is the same site used by attorneys to find attorney's when needed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
could my parents help with this. and since we got married in Texas and my parents live very close to Lubbock and Odessa Texas. Would this be an option.
They could help, but they cannot really file or represent you in court unless they are licensed attorneys. The Texas forms are at:

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what about filing since I will be in Iraq or back in japan and I know you can not give me exact cost but initial start up cost
It varies a bit depending on which county court in Texas, but it is about $175 to file and most attorneys could likely file for you and have it completed for less than $2500. You can also see if one of your JAG attorneys would assist you by filling out the petition and maybe they have some contacts to assist you cheaper.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My husband see this as possiblity of divorce. I am concerned about my cerdit and other things do feel should start this while i am her in Iraq or wait until I go back to Japan which should be in Feb. 2009
You should start immediately to separate the marital estate and prevent any new marital debts from accumulating.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you
Thank you and good luck.