How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what i considered a friend sold a record for me last year,gave

This answer was rated:

what i considered a friend sold a record for me last year,gave me a check for $1,250.00,then told me to wait awhile to cash's now been a year&the check is still in my wallet & the person says they still need time to pay me.they also have two more records of mine worth $500.00 that have not been returned or paid for.what legal rights might i have against this person?
Well, you can present the check to the bank and if they refuse to cash it, then you send him a written notice that he has 10 days to make good on the check and if he fails to do so, you go to the local DA and file charges for issuing bad checks and he will be arrested and prosecuted. You could also sue him in the place where he lives in small claims court to recover your money, but small claims court does not order return of propery they only award money judgments.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
banks do not cash checks over 6 months old,as i've already called them.
Some banks do, but in any event, send him a letter demanding your money for the check that he wrote you and told you not to cash and then go to the DA's office and seek to have him charged for issuing a worthless check to you. Also, you can still sue him in small claims court for the money.
Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you