How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the middle of a divorce in Florida. We went to mediation

Resolved Question:

I am in the middle of a divorce in Florida. We went to mediation and instead of writing up what was agreed upon in mediation my husbands lawyer has written in 2 or 3 items that were never agreed upon and quite detrimental to me. Now we are going back and forth trying to come to a settlement. It appears that I may have to go to court to have theses issues resolved. At what point can I fire and change lawyers and what would be the disadvantages? My lawyer may not have the divorce experience enough to go up against a more experienced divorce attorney.   In addition, much of our marital money has been spent on or maybe even given to a mistress. What can be done about that? Does the fact that it is a mistress have any bearing on anything?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will do my best to assist you. During the course of our interaction , I may need some additional information. Also, please keep in mind that while I assist you, I don't know what you already know about the issue unless you tell me.


You can fire your lawyer at any time.and it sounds like that is in order if he can't keep up with the other attorney. Plus the other lawyer seems shady trying to add in items. YOU NEED TO GET A BARRACUDA OF A LAWYER....that is the only pro...there are no cons.


Bring up the mistress money and make him make an adjustment to the settlement due to the money he spent. ...another reason to have a great lawyer.


Please advise me of your nearest LARGE CITY and I will get you a link to a directory we lawyers use to find highly qualified legal specialists in various fields. These lawyers are in the directory because they are rated as QUALIFIED by other lawyers in their field of expertise and geographic area. THIS IS NOT A DIRECTORY THAT LAWYERS JUST PAY TO GET IN. Look through the websites and call a few firms you feel are appropriate for your case.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have already paid a lump sum with my lawyer and it was to take me through mediation. What would I expect from the new lawyer?....I have all documents the new person would need but would it be as if I was starting all over?....especially regarding the lump sum....or would the fact that I have all the info up to the mediation and basically the new person would pick up doing the responses to the mediation and then eventually prepare for a trial. And would there be some additional cost to prepare for trial/court. PS I do not need the directory but thank you anyway.
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Demand a refund for time/money not spent. If he refuses, threaten to report him to the state bar. He'll give you the refund...!


The new lawyer will pick up the case where it left off and do whatever needs to be done including trial if necessary.



rvlaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you