How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  Juris Doctorate Degree
Type Your Legal Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im looking for help with housing laws. My mothers lease states

Resolved Question:

I'm looking for help with housing laws. My mothers lease states that she must make her apartment available for an annual inspection. This was done 2 weeks ago. She recently received notice that she had to be home for another inspection to make sure things were in a clean and sanitary manner today where they took pictures of areas of her apartment, bathroom, kitchen (inside her fridge and oven) bedroom area. This is a studio apartment. They said she needed to get rid of things in her bathroom cause she had to many things and said that her kitchen counter was to cluttered. The inspector also said she wasn't aloud to use extension cords which pictures were taken of also (no where in her lease does it state she can not use extension cords). The inspector then told her that he was taking these pictures to the executive commisioner for a ruling on possible eviction proceddings. Can they take these pictures and go through all of her things like the inspector did?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  dkennedy replied 8 years ago.



I would like to help you with this, but I need more information.


Does your mother live in government subsidized housing?


Who was it that inspected it the first time? The owner of the building?

The second time? The city code inspector?


Please give me more infomration.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The building is government subsidized. The apartment was inspected by a town of hempstead housing authority inspector. It was the same inspector both times

Expert:  dkennedy replied 8 years ago.



Even if your rent is subsidized, there is no way the city can evict you from this property. Only the building owner or manager can evict you.


The city and give someone so many days to fix something or stop using a drop cord, but it is up to the landlord to fix the things or to make you take out the cords or whatever they are complaining about.


Here is the City website for Hempstead. The code regarding apartments and houses--is contained in there.

Town of Hempstead

Good luck.

dkennedy and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you