How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted of felony DUI in Nevada and served time in

This answer was rated:

I was convicted of felony DUI in Nevada and served time in prison and house arrest. All requirements have been met, off parole and probation, all fines paid, no other DIUs or other. Court appearance and sentencing was on March 31, 1999. How do I go about getting my records sealed or expunged? I did recieve my voting rights back but i want to know if I am still on record as a felon.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

  1. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. Congratulations on winning back your voting rights! Based on what you have shared here, you would also be eligible to seek relief regarding your prior criminal record. Generally, a misdemeanor DUI conviction requires a waiting period of seven years, which you have certainly already met.
  3. The down side is that, unlike some states, Nevada does not have a simple statutory procedure in place to accomplish your goal. You would have to apply by filing a petition with the court having jurisdiction over your records, have a hearing on your application, and secure an Order from the Court. Furthermore, the sealing of records is discretionary with the Court under Nevada law as opposed to having an actual right to such relief. For those reasons, it is highly preferable to retain an attorney to handle your case. For your reference, you can review the applicable statutory procedures by clicking here. I hope that all works out well for you.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you