How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Judge Your Own Question
The Judge
The Judge, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 703
Experience:  Active lawyer & former judge with over 30 years experience in family law and business law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
The Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of the family who lived/rented in Washington DC and

This answer was rated:

A friend of the family who lived/rented in Washington DC and is now in jail in California, needs to give Power of Attorney to me to recover his possesions from his apartment before eviction. He also states that the jail does not allow or have notary service available. What should I do?

If your friend has a lawyer, that lawyer could make arrangements for a notary to visit your friend, get a signature, and notarize it.

The only other thing that you can do is contact a notary public in CA and hire him/her to go to the jail and do the same thing. You, or he, could probably retain a lawyer to just do that and it shouldn't cost much.

I believe it when he says that the jail won't provide notary services. I have a hard time believing that the jail would not "allow" notary services.

I hope this answers your question. If there is anything that you do not understand, please let me know and I will be happy to explain further.

In the meantime, please click "Accept" so that I may be paid for my answer and any subsequent follow-ups with you.

Thank you,

The Judge

P.S. I am frequently asked how someone can specifically request that I, personally, answer a question. Here’s how: for new questions in the future, always begin your question with “QUESTION FOR THE JUDGE.”

The Judge and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you