How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old daughter has run away from home and taken a

Customer Question

My 17 year old daughter has run away from home and taken a car that I own and that is registered in my name. How do i go about getting the car recovered and emancipating her? She has continuously stolen money from us and I think is addicted to prescription pain pills.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

Dear cd bax1593 - If you have filed reports with the police I have no other solution unless you know where she is currently located and can go and retrieve the car yourself. You should file unruly charges against her as a juvenile and this could be done at your local juvenile prosecutor's office.


It would appear that she is a danger to herself and others and that the police should act upon this situation. You may also want to contact child services in your county to report this behavior.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Dave Kennett and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response. I have also received a call from our bank. apparently she has been helping herself to about a $1000. or so from our checking account each month. I am heart broken.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

I am so sorry to hear of this as I'm sure you still love your daughter. All I can say is you need to deal with this in a strict manner since enabling her to do more damage hurts everyone. Make sure the bank is aware of the situation.


Dave Kennett