Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was receiving alimony from my husband until he didnt have

Customer Question
I was receiving alimony from...
I was receiving alimony from my husband until he didn't have an income. He has now remarried a wealthy woman and he is being supported by her. Shouldn't he have to resume alimony payments now?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2008
Lawyer: The Judge, Lawyer (JD) replied 9 years ago
The Judge
The Judge, Lawyer (JD)
Hello iagirl,

If your husband didn't go to court and have his alimony responsibiliities modified, his obligation to pay you never stopped.

So he would still owe you for all of the payments that he never made and his duty to continue to pay alimony would remain for as long as the divorce decree required it.

If that's the case, you should take him back to court to seek contempt charges against him.

I hope this answers your question. If there is anything that you do not understand, please let me know and I will be happy to explain further.

In the meantime, please click "Accept" so that I may be paid for my answer and any subsequent follow-ups with you.

Thank you,

The Judge

P.S. I am frequently asked how someone can specifically request that I, personally, answer a question. Here’s how: for new questions in the future, always begin your question with “QUESTION FOR THE JUDGE.”

The Judge
The Judge, Lawyer (JD)
The Judge
The Judge
The Judge, Lawyer (JD)