How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawgirl Your Own Question
Lawgirl, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience:  I am an attorney familiar with the above-stated subject matter.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lawgirl is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son has been going thru a custody battle for 2 yrs now,

Customer Question

my son has been going thru a custody battle for 2 yrs now, the mother lost all rights to the child almost 2 yrs ago, and because they live in Illinois and my son lives in Minnesota they granted temp. custody to the maternal grandparents. the mother has been incarcerated during this time, and they still have not given custody to my son. We have run out of funds, the last atty we had stepped down for lack of funds, now my son is on his own and we need some advice on how to go about this, I have tried looking up packets for changing custody, representing self, but the ones I got online were only for New jersey, which does not help us. Any suggestions???
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 9 years ago.

Is Illinois where the court case is being handled?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
yes the case is in Illinois we live in Minnesota
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for your question.


Here is information on obtaining custody:


Here are the forms that you should be able to modify and use:


As you can see these are self-help packets for indigent individuals, they provide the legal substance of the motion that your son will need to file in order to petition the court for custody.


Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.


Good Luck!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

I can not get to the forms, it just closes


Customer: replied 9 years ago.

are u still with me???


Customer: replied 9 years ago.

I am sorry I finally got those forms, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX needed a form that gives permission for removal of a minor from the state of Illinois.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I just figured out my daughter took my cellphone to school so I will not get any texts, please respond to me on here.
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 9 years ago.
There is no specific form for this purpose. This would initially be by agreement between the parties, which the parties could draft, or it could be reqeusted in your son's motion. Then it could be made into a court order, which the judge would order.
Lawgirl and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The Guardian at Litum told him to get this form. she called it Removal of a minor child from the state of Illinois. maybe we can only get it from the courthouse????
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
well I guess nobody wants the $15 because I have not gotten all my answers , but I will pay the money if u respond back to me.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
where do I push an accept??? you have helped me out. except on the main problem, but the other packets are helpful also. we can get started.
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 9 years ago.

I am sorry, I had to step away from my computer.


It is not a form, but rather a petition that he should draft and file. Here is a sample petition:


He will have to tailor it to his needs. Otherwise, since each courthouse does everything a little differently, you may inquite as to whether they have a form for this.