How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ctlawyer Your Own Question
ctlawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 573
Experience:  over 15 years practice experience in real estate and business matters;
Type Your Legal Question Here...
ctlawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently rented a house and relocated from wisconsin to texas.

Resolved Question:

I recently rented a house and relocated from wisconsin to texas. I have been there for about two months and I got a visit from a realtor stating the house was forclosed on September 5, 2008. Now I have 3 weeks to move. The management company claimed he did not know about it until recently. Can I file a small claim for my upcoming moving expenses and for September's rent? The manager stated the lease was null and void after the house was forclosed, is that true? Now he also wants to hold my deposit until I move out. If the house is no longer in the owners name do they have the right to hold onto my deposit?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  ctlawyer replied 8 years ago.
You could probably sue the landlord for damages from them breaching the lease. First look at the lease and see if it discusses damages for landlord's breach. Second, understand that if your landlord was foreclosed it is probably becuase he does not have sufficient funds, so suing him may be a waste of time, he may not have any money to get. The bank can usually evict tenants in a foreclosed house, they have to follow eviction procedures but if you have been told that they are going to do this I would stop paying rent and look for a new place.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What type of damages? Do you mean moving costs to the new place?
Expert:  ctlawyer replied 8 years ago.
Yes, moving costs, difference in rent if the new place is more expensive, whatever you have to pay that is more than under your existing arrangement.
ctlawyer and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you