Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I notified my employer that I will need surgery and he now

I notified my employer that I will need surgery and he now tells me that I will not have my job. He could not find problems with the job that I do other than using the following areas: I was not to provide the government a specific form (there was not issue since 2005) until now.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
If your employer has 50 or more employees, then you are entitled to 12 weeks of leave under the Family Medical Leave Act and you must ask specifically for FMLA leave and the employer must reinstate you to your same or comparable position upon your return. Unfortunately, if the employer does not have 50 or more employees, you do not have much recourse if he decides not to hold your job for your return.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.