How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christy Your Own Question
Christy, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 462
Experience:  Former General Counsel for nationwide corporation. Contracts, rental properties, business law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Christy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how can I get a copy of a name change petition that was finalized in new York in 1980

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Christy replied 8 years ago.

Do you know what court the petition was filed in? If not, what city?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
honestly I am not sure. The only think I know is at the time my aunt & uncle who helped us with the process lived in queens.
Expert:  Christy replied 8 years ago.

First, try the online documents available for Queens court at:

If your records are not available online, you will have to call the court at 1-800-COURTNY. They will be able to give you the contact information for the correct court. Once you have that, you can request copies of the records. There may be a small fee for copying and mailing of the records.

If I have been helpful, please Accept my Answer. We can continue talking after you do so if you have follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i went on that website. I don't see where I can get a copy of this document.

i also called the number just to see if they give an option for this & the only thing it says us to leave a voicemail
Expert:  Christy replied 8 years ago.
The court will not answer, except for during business hours.

As for the website, you have to put in the verification at the bottom, and then you can search by party name.

Let me know if you still have trouble.