Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can a creditor subpoena bank records and cancelled checks?

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2008
Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant replied 9 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

A creditor must first reduce his claim to judgment. He can then file an action to collect on the judgment and that would include a subpoena for financial records.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
Customer/span>

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
So, they cant get bank records for my enitre year until they have gotton a judgment?

They cannot get ANY bank records without your permission absent a judgment.

I hope that this information has helped you.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please ask for .

Bonus and Positive Feedback = job well done.

So the creditors lawyer can't subpoena my bank and get all of my bank records for the entire year?
Not without a court order.
What do you mean by court order, they have a summons against me and than he just subpoenaed by bank records and cancelled checks.

As per my first answer:

If you think that your records have been wrongfully subpoenaed, then you need to move for a protective order. You will want to retain an attorney to assist in this process.

Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant