How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgment against me in New York State, but was never

This answer was rated:

I have a judgment against me in New York State, but was never served or notified of any legal proceedings. The only way I knew that anything had occurred was when my bank account was attached.   I had already moved to California by then. What can I do to get this taken care of? Can I get it vacated?
You can file a motion to vacate the original order by showing that you never recieved proper notice for the plantiff to win a default judgment. That means filing the motion in NY with the court that issued the judgment.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How do I demonstrate that I never received notification? Is there a form that I fill out and file? Can I get the documents they filed? I am a little unclear of the process. I would gladly fly back there to file the necessary petitions.
You just file your sworn statement that you did not recieve proper notice, it is the burden of the other party to show with written evidence that they did serve you properly. There is no form, you just title the motion "Motion to Vacate", but you can call the court that issued the order and ask if they have a form that they prefer you to use. You can call and also request from the clerk of the court copies of any and all documetns related to the case number XXXXX question. You file this by mail or fax, you do not have to go in person unless a hearing date is det on your motion.
legaleagle and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you