Dan, Retired JD
Experience:  Retired attorney, general practice, with an additional background in financial planning,
5594706

I would like to know what the resident laws are applicale to

I would like to know what the resident laws are applicale to the state of NC.

Buckley:

All state universities have to deal with the issue of when a person qualifies as being a resident of the state and therefor subject only to in-state tuition rates. Of necessity, they make the tests stringent so that people are not able to easily get by when they should be paying out-of-state tuition.

ECU uses the North Carolina standards for determining residency status. (The long name for that is "A Manual To Assist the Public Higher Education Institutions of North Carolina in the Matter of Student Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes") The manual can be referenced at this link:
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/registrar/upload/Retyped_residency_manual.pdf
See also " Understanding Residence Status for Tuition Purposes East Carolina University Office of the Registrar" which may be found at this link:

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/registrar/upload/GuidelinesforResidency.pdf

One of their basic rules is that a student is presumed to have the same domicile as his parents unless the student can prove otherwise.

If your son was initially ruled to be a non-resident, he may appeal that determination. Here is some information on that process:
Campus-level Appeals: A student may request that his/her request for in-state tuition be reviewed by East Carolina University's Residency Appeals Committee. Notice of intent to appeal should be made by the student in writing to the coordinator of residency appeals. Additional documentation and a descriptive letter of appeal may be provided for the committee's review. The coordinator of residency appeals will notify students of the decision on the appeal in writing.

Appeals to the State Residence Committee: A student whose appeal for in-state tuition has been turned down by the campus appeals committee may request that the appeal be submitted to the State Residence Committee. The request for this review must be made by the student in writing to the coordinator of residency appeals within 10 days of the notice of the decision by the campus Residency Appeals Committee.
The coordinator of residency appeals will submit a copy of the student's file to the student and to the State Residence Committee according to the procedures outlined in the N.C. Residency Manual. No additional material may be submitted for this appeal, because the file reviewed by the campus committee must be the file that will be reviewed by the State Residence Committee.

Contact for questions regarding residency:

Coordinator for Residency Appeals

210 Whichard

(NNN) NNN-NNNNphone(NNN) NNN-NNNNfax

[email protected]

This information came from the ECU web site at this link:
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/registrar/Residency.cfm

Hopefully that will give you the info you need and the process your son needs to undertake to seek in-state status.

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have any followup questions. If none, please remember to click on the ACCEPT link so that I may receive credit for working on this topic with you. (I'd greatly appreciate it!)

Thank you,

--------------

The information provided is general in nature only and shall not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

PS: If an answer appears to you to have been very helpful, or to have taken above average expertise, and/or research, or if the answer shows an above average amount of time and dedication devoted to your issue, a bonus is nice way to say "Thank you". Thanks!

Thank you for the accept.

In answer to the question you posted in the feedback comment section, the fact that the community college had listed your son as an in-state student does not bind the ECU to that same determination. (The person doing the review on in-state vs out-of-state residency for the community college may have a more lenient view of who qualifies for in-state status.)

Thank you,

--------------