How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33738
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does one fight a false charge in court without benefit

Resolved Question:

How does one fight a false charge in court without benefit of an attorney? The charge is against a friend who is being charged with kicking his girlfriend. He denies the charge.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 years ago.
I assume he is being charged with a crime and not sued in civil court. If this is the case then they will eventually find him and arrest him.

He can certainly be charged without any proof other than the woman's statement, it happens all the time. In many cases the only evidence there is will be a victim's statement.

He can try to fight it himself but it would be a mistake and anytime there is a criminal charge there is always the possibility of jail. The law allows a person to defend themselves but he won't know how to introduce evidence, make objections, or ask proper questions and what generally occurs is that he can't put up a proper defense. A person representing themself is held to the same standard as an attorney.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Dwayne B. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you