How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a very large house with my mother, and older brother

Resolved Question:

I live in a very large house with my mother, and older brother and sister. I have gotten into numerous altercations with my older sister. About 2 years ago one of the altercations got violent and I ended up in jail for 48 hours. Recently the altercations have been reaccuring and I have mastered controlling myself. My sister however has continually gotten physical with me. I don't want to end up in jail again or worse. Is it possible to get a temporary restraining order against her? Even so is it possible even though we live in the same house? Would you suggest I get one and if not is there something else I can do legally?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 8 years ago.



It is legally possible to get a restraining order against someone who shares your address; however the court is extremely hesitant to grant one if it means constructively evicting the defendant/respondent from their home. But what is the harm in trying?


If you do not own the residence, your options are limited; you can always move out or wait for her to move out, but you ordinarily have very little power in these situations. The good news, if there is any, is that she is ordinarily equally as powerless. Best of luck.


If this was informative, please click "accept" so I may receive credit for my personal time and knowledge. Thank you.

Brandon M. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you