How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117438
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I provide consulting services and focus on smaller businesses

Resolved Question:

I provide consulting services and focus on smaller businesses with a great product or service but need help getting it to the right audiences. One client has made partial payments to me for a year and we agreed to "bank" the remainder. The client has now "indefinitely suspended" our agreement and has made no indication as to how he will the remaining balance due ($28000). There was no mention of late fees or penalties in the original consulting services agreemnt. I have tried to get a written gameplan for how he intends to pay the remaining balance but he has not responded. Can I charge interest? What recourse do I havce?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You can charge late fees and interest in accordance with your agreement, since the agreement is silent then there would be a dispute as to whether or not you can charge them and it would be based upon the customary practice in your industry. Colorado currently has one of the higher general usury rates in the country -- for non-consumer loans. The general usury rate in this regard (for non-consumer loans) is set at 45% per annum. The usury rate established for consumer or personal loans is set at 12% in Colorado at the present time. I would say this is not a consumer loan, so you could get away with the higher rate, it is a fee for services rendered.

Your recourse would be to sue the client for recovery of the fees.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

OK, so I can charge interest, but it would likely be disputed since it wasn't mentioned in the original agreement. Doesn't look too positive unless CLolorado has specific laws on this. That is what I trying to find out.


Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
There are no specific laws, interest comes under the Usury law and you can charge up to 45% per annum. Interest and late fees is not covered by the law any further which is why I said it is contractual in nature. I would still charge it since the contract does not say you would not charge interest, especially when he is the one breaching the contract by failing to pay.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you