How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117358
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am ticketed to thailand and vietnam tonight for 5 weeks on

Resolved Question:

I am ticketed to thailand and vietnam tonight for 5 weeks on a non refundable/transferrable ticket . to my alarm I see that my Green Card issued in 1988 expired Aug 24 2008. 1 week question is even if Cathay pacific let me board can i renew at the embassy in Bangkok or should I lose the ticket and apply tomorrow in San Francisco. Are the chances good that I could apply and then be allowed to travel in a few days perhaps Thanks Peter
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

If you are a lawful permanent resident whose ten-year I-551 has expired or will expire within the next six months, you may renew your card by filing a Form I-90. If you are outside of the United States at the time of the card’s expiration, and you have not applied for the renewal card prior to your departure, you should contact the nearest American Consulate, USCIS office, or Port of Entry, before attempting to file Form I-90 for a renewal I-551 card. I would not leave the country with an expired card because it would create a problem for your return. I would certainly risk losing the money on the trip to maintain your green card, because once you leave the country you will be stuck waiting for the I-90 to go through before you can be readmitted. There is no grace period on the expiration of your card, so it would be considered expired.

The airline does not have to refund your trip, but you should contact them and see if you can reschedule based upon your immigration status problems.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you