How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawgirl Your Own Question
Lawgirl, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience:  I am an attorney familiar with the above-stated subject matter.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lawgirl is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I was hit by a car hit an run and my attorney kept most

Customer Question

Hi I was hit by a car hit an run and my attorney kept most of my money and i called him he says he owns me money but he never calls me back or answear the phone can you help me
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 9 years ago.
Did you sign a retainer agreement with your attorney? Is he saying that he owns the money because of the time he spent on your case? Did you give him any money?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
yes i did i have paperwork
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

he took all my money


Expert:  Lawgirl replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for providing the clarity.


Based on the limited information, it sounds like your attorney may have been working on contingency allowing him to recover his fees and costs from your settlement. You have the right to ask the attorney for an invoice laying out his fees and costs so you can see where his time was spent and how much he should have been paid.


It may prompt the attorney to be more responsive if you tell him that you are considering asking the state bar for help. In the event that In the event that he is not getting back to you or you feel he is being unethical, you can tell the attorney that you may contact the state bar if he fails to respond to you. In the event that he still does not respond to you, you may consider reporting him to the state bar to see if they can get to the bottom of whether he inappropriately kept your money. In the event you can prove malpractice, you can sue him.


Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.


Good Luck!