How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33932
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Resolved Question:

I received a " INTERROGATORIES IN AID OF ENFORCEMENT OF JUDGEMENT "on 8-19-08. I did not have a clue what it was about, but, recognized the name of the plaintiff. I called a number on the document. It relates to a debt originating 1998. I was told it is upwards of $10,000,all fees included. I was sent a copy of "CONSENT JUDGEMENT" served me 11-8-99. I'm a recovering alchoholic (6 years). I want to do the right thing,it is a very important part of my sobriety,but,my income (approx:$30,000 per yr.)& trying to get my credit back on track & starting (finally) to save something for retirement, this is hitting me hard. What should I do, what can I do. I must help my self, or, I am no good to others.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 years ago.
First you need to see if it is a valid judgment. A Consent Judgment is a judgment entered into and agreed to by both parties. If you never agreed to a judgment then it may not be valid.

Also, where are you located and what state is the judgment from?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
It is valid. It has my signature on it. I am in Maryland. Judgement is from Maryland
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
is anybody outthere ?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 years ago.
I apologize for the delay, I was called away for a while. I reviewed the state law and it appears that judgments in Maryland are good for 12 years, although I am unsure at to whether or not they can be renewed past that time.

Regardless, they are within the judgment time frame to collect. Maryland does allow wage gardishment so that is one method they may seeks to employ. Retirement accounts, depending on the type, are almost always exempt from seizure but bank accounts are not. My suggestion is to see if they are interested in working out a payment plan that you can afford to prevent them seizing your checks or accounts.

Aslo, you will still need to answer those interrogatories in a timely manner. If you do not they will take you to court and the judge will order you to answer and will likely order attorney's fees on top of that.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Dwayne B. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you