Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

What is Texas Law on what is considered child abandonment

What is Texas' Law on what is considered child abandonment? Also, who can I contact if I want to place a charge? As well, can an Aunt make a charge against a brother who has not made an effort to see his son but has left his son in the aunt's care?

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Here is a link to the Texas Statutes regarding child abuse, neglect and termination of parental rights.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/state/index.cfm?event=stateStatutes.processSearch

The father has not acted in a criminal manner as he left his child with you, a responsible adult.

However, you can consider bringing an action in family court to take temporary or full custody of the child based upon his extreme neglect: leaving the child with you without support and not making contact concerning whether he would return on a repetitive basis.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please hit ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonuses and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE