How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 35003
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the matter of my son, I received an Order Of Court ...

Resolved Question:

In the matter of my son, I received an Order Of Court that the Dept of Juvenile Services of Maryland cause a Waiver Investigation to be completed with regard to my son and his case. I do not understand what this Waiver Investigation means. Can yo explain?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help

Can you provide a bit more info:

Is you son facing a hearing or is it complete?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes, while my son was at Senior Week in Ocean City, Maryland after his high school graduation he was charged with possession and distribution of marijuana. He was charged as a juvenile but has since turned 18. We have an Appearance hearing scheduled for 8/21 and a court date scheduled for 9/08. But I received this Order of Court today regarding this Waiver Investigation that Juv Serv wants completed which shall include a recommendation for disposition of the case the same day. Does this mean they are trying to do both the same day since we live about 3 hours from where this happened and has to go back to court? It says "Whereas a significant amount of time and money can be saved by the Respondent and Respondent's parents......" This has been tough because I am trying to make my son be responsible for this and since he turned 18, he has left my house and doesn't really speak to me and hasn't really changed his ways. I wouldn't go or worry about this and let him face whatever but I was 'Summoned' as well to court because I was his guardian/parent at the time of the offense and he was a juvenile then. And it says my failure to appear can be cause for arrest! Yikes! I'm sorry, I am very stressed over this and his behavior.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for that

The waiver petition / investigation is the attempt by the state to try you son as an adult. You want to fight this as hard as possible.

So, when you go to court next, the state will try and convince the judge to try you son as an adult. If they fail the will prepare for the juvenile hearing.

If you dont have one yet, you need a good criminal law attorney with experience in this area. Your son is in a much better position if he is tried by the state as a minor. He needs to be prepared for your hearing on 8/21

Best of luck

Please let me know if you have questions else please hit the green button, its the only way i get paid
P. Simmons and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you