How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118784
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Where do I begin Last year I was diagnosed with cancer ...

Customer Question

Where do I begin???? Last year I was diagnosed with cancer and no health insurance. I have one bill for $97,000 for treatment, chemotherapy and radiation. I also have other bills and am not sure right now how much they are. I suffer from neuropathy in my hands and feet plus memory problems. ( I had brain radiation too as a precautionary measure) I have approximately $47,000 in a non-qualified acct to live on for the rest of my life and it is in an investment acct. I also have an IRA, now only worth $13,462.00.I have a non-qualified acct worth $1200.00 set up for my 2 1/2 year old grandson''s college fund. I have tried (when there was more money in the larger account) to try and qualify for aid but my assets were too much to help me in any way. If I am threatened with a court ordered judgment can they tap any of these accounts? One last question, if this does go to court, will I be notified in advance so I can appear in court to plead my side of the whole thing?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
Unfortunately, absent seeking aid from the various groups out there that pay for medical bills, you are liable for the bills. The creditors can go after any of the accounts you have in your name and can place a lien on any property you own and can even seek seizure and sale of that property to satisfy the debt. You really need to get a debt relief agency to assist you now before it gets to them suing you. If they sue you they are supposed to notify you by serving you with a subpoena/summons and a copy of the complaint and if they fail to do so it gives you grounds for an appeal and grounds to reverse any default judgment they may get against you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for respnding so quickly......I had an emergency and that's why it took me so long to accept!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
Good luck to you.