How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118253
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What recourse do I have if the administrator of my ...

Customer Question

What recourse do I have if the administrator of my former employers stock plan gave me incorrect information (ie; the wrong stock expiration date) that caused me to lose out on exercising my option by one day? I contacted my former employer by mail and they replied that they investigated and the plan administrator denied contact with me so they consider the case closed. I obtained my phone records which show that they did call me. At the time of the call I wrote down who I spoke to, what we discussed, and the date and time. Although I can''t prove what I was verbally told I can verify that they lied about ever calling me. Who should I contact now regarding this matter and how should I proceed?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
You need to file suit against the stock administrator for breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract and possibly even fraud. All of the evidence you have gathered so far is good evidence in your favor. You should hire an attorney to pursue this matter for you since you can likely even recover your attorney's fees in the suit.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to PaulMJD's Post: Doesn't my former employer have any responsibility in helping me get this resolved since they are the one's who hired the plan administrator? Also, what type of specialty lawyer do I need and how do I find one?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
If you have to file suit, you would sue both the plan administrator and the employer. You would need an employee benefits or regular commercial litigator to assist you. Look at which is where we attorneys look to find attorneys in specific areas when we need them.