How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33732
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My children and I were held against our will and I was ...

Resolved Question:

My children and I were held against our will and I was beaten by a former boyfriend. During the time I was suffering from PTSD also having to comply with HKI, basically unable to follow through with the judicial process. The charges were dismissed with the notation "No Information Given". This incident found its way into the newbroadcast and newspapers. Can I sue this person for the emotional truama that this incident caused as well as the finacial hardship that was caused due to my medical state @ the time. If so what is the statue of limitations if any?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 years ago.
Did this occur in Florida?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Texas Atty's Post: yes
Tampa, FL
Hillsborugh County
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 years ago.
I assume you are asking if you can sue the person who abused you and the answer is yes. You can collect your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, mental anguish, etc.

Typicaly you have two years from the date the incident happened to bring the suit but I found several sources that say Florida has a four year statute.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Always feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Dwayne B. and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you