How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Want to add a name to a property deed in Lafayett Hill, PA.

Resolved Question:

Want to add a name to a property deed in Lafayett Hill, PA. What is the procedure?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  JD replied 9 years ago.
Is this a gift? Marriage? Business deal?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Not a gift. Want to share ownership with a friend.
Expert:  JD replied 9 years ago.
Then are they paying you? Are they entitled to co-ownership in some other way? Or is this a gift?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Not a gift; will be sharing all expenses including mortgage and R/E taxes.
Expert:  JD replied 9 years ago.

Transferring a partial interest in a piece of real estate is simple. However, there are several different ways to divide the interests in this property. Each method has different tax, estate, use, and division implications. Also, each has to be worded in a very specific way. For this reason, you should hire a local attorney to draft the documentation you require to transfer the property interests. Make sure you discuss the tax and usage implications with the attorney to ensure you make the right choice.

Also, you will likely have to refinance or get permission from the bank to make this transfer and add the other person to the note. Otherwise, any transfer you make will be subject to the mortgage but possibly will not obligate the other person on the loan (promissory note). There are several ways to accomplish what you wish to do, you simply need to discuss those options with your attorney.

Your legal fees for this will not be significant compared to the protections you will receive from having this done professionally.

Get a lawyer.


I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you