How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116732
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 14 year old felony background. My ...

Resolved Question:

Breach of Contract issue against State employee-I have a 14 year old felony background. My wife''s ex husband found out and made a fraudulant complaint with CPS. WA State Rules of evidence 609 states that my felony background is inadmissable to use in court but because CPS acted on it his attorney used it as his sole case. CPS on 5/08 signed and agreement giving us 30 days to provided documentaion or they would take the kids. 3 days later per that agreement the kids were placewd into their father''s care. By 5/14 CPS backed completly out of the matter failling to adhere to the signed agreement. I and my wife have adhered to it as I am currently going before the judge with regards XXXXX XXXXX documents CPS asked for but they are no longer in the case. DOES THIS CONSTITUE A BREACH OF CONTRACT/AGREEMENT? Do I have some sort of legal path as no RCW codes or WAC rules violated to constitute CPS involvment?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Any person can make a claim to CPS and CPS must act on these claims, regardless. Since they have to investigate and CPS has pretty much unlimited powers in dealing with children. If you had a signed agreement with CPS and they violated that signed agreement, then you could have a breach of contract claim against them. Additionally, what you could have is a suit under state law for a violation of your constitutional rights if they unlawfully used the information against you in direct contravention to the law. However, the rules of evidence are for use in the courtroom, not in enforcement or investigative matters, therefore, you cannot hang your hat on that as the basis for your suit. You should hire an attorney to represent you and file your complaint against CPS and if you cannot afford an attorney ask the state bar about the pro bono programs in your area.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you