How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband used my social to get his electric turned ...

This answer was rated:

My ex-husband used my social to get his electric turned on and never paid the bill. We had been divorced for more than a year when he did this. Now a collection agency is bugging me for the money on the unpaid bill. I did not even live in that state and was remarried to someone else. Can I do something to stop this and get my ex from doing it again ?
As to the misuse of the social: You can report this to the county where he lived as identify theft. Then send a written letter to the collection agency asking them to cease and desist further communication with you as you dispute the bill, have reported the identity theft (send copy of report) and you are exercising your rights as stated in the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act in requesting that they cease contact. If by chance they continue, you can sue the collections office for violations of the FDCPA. Once the letter is sent, their only recourse would be to sue you, but since you have proof this was not you, then will not be able to win their case.

In addition you can file a complaint with the State Attorney General of Colorado consumer protection, for any violations of the collection practices. You can access that contact information below. I would also call them for further assistance in resolving the issue of the identity theft.


Colorado Collection Agency Board
XXXXX 7th Floor
Denver, CO 80203
Phone (licensing):(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr /> Phone (consumer complaints and information):(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr /> Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr /> Website:
E-mail: [email protected]

This agency handles complaints against collection agencies that are operating in violation of the Colorado Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. This is a state law that governs the actions of debt collectors and collection agencies. The law prohibits collection agencies from using certain practices to collect the debt as well as unnecessary disclosure of the debt to parties that are not obligated to pay the debt. This law generally does not apply to creditors collecting their own debt.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you