How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 39051
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had trouble with the people next door to me entering my ...

Resolved Question:

I had trouble with the people next door to me entering my home when I was not home. They had a key to the house and stole valuable things. The owner of the house said they were care takers. When I rented the house I was not told of this. The real estate lady passed the buck no was to blame just forget she said. I have epilepsy and had numerous seizures. I lived in fear because those peole who came in were drug addicts and under the influence of alcohol, what can I do is thre a statue of limitations of pressing charges.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 years ago.
How long ago did this all occur?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
November of 2007
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
It happened in November of 2007
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Do I get an answer by e-mail
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 years ago.

Sorry, but sometimes I get drowned with questions.

A case like this, when cold, is really hard for the police to prove, because the goods may have been disbursed to other locations by now. However, it's well within the statute of limitations.

Your other option would be to sue for trespass and conversion. But, you would have to prove that the neighbors came in and took things without your consent. Once again, very difficult to prove after all this time has passed.

You could sue the real estate agent for negligence or breach of fiduciary, for not telling you that the neighbors had a key to the property. That actually would be your best method of getting damages, if you could prove that the agent knew and forgot to tell you. You could also sue the seller for negligence -- also probably a better cause of action, because the seller must have known that the neighbors had keys.


Terms and Conditions: By clicking "Accept" you hereby understand and agree that in consideration for my conversing with you: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others.

socrateaser and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you