How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118237
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a widow on disability and I live in an apartment

Resolved Question:

I am a widow on disability and I live in an apartment now for the past 21 years. I feel like I own it . I was wondering if there was any type of law that might state that after living in an apartment for any length of time U could have a freeze put on your rent so that it wouldn''t be increased 25.00 or 50.00 every year. It is getting so now that my whole annunity check is spent for my rent and then my disability check I use for my medication, gas for my car, insurance on the car, electric, phone , tv , and never have any left really for food. It is making it so hard for me to stay in this apartment and I really like being here . At my age (65) I really hate to have to move but if they keep increasing the rent I am afraid I am going to have too. I would apprecate it if U could advise me on what to do. Thank U for taking the time to read my letter.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
Rent is a matter of contract between the parties involved in the lease and there are no such laws that state what you are seeking. However, there are many social service agencies for seniors and disabled people that provide rental assistance and assistance for needs such as food and utilities. You need to contact your state's department of elderly affairs for assistance or go to your local senior center and they can assist you further.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you