Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How many times a day can a bill collector call before it is ...

How many times a day...
How many times a day can a bill collector call before it is harrassment
7/15/2008
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer (JD)

DearCustomer

While the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), which debt collectors must follow, limits the time of day during which debt collectors may call but not the specific number of times they can call - HOWEVER, if the number of calls made becomes harrassment, then that would be a violation of the FDCPA (also, state laws, which you may contact your state's Attorney General's office to see if they have any on this subject, may, however, restrict the number).

You can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), which is the federal agency that enforces and regulates compliance with the FDCPA, if you are being harassed or if a debt collector violates any of your rights (which the FTC explains here), at the number provided at the bottom of that link.

Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer (JD)
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer (JD)