Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

In michigan, what is the legal age to have sex What, if ...

Customer Question
In michigan, what is the...
In michigan, what is the legal age to have sex? What, if any, are the special circumstances, and what EXACTLY does legal age of consent mean? I believe alot of people are confused about this issue.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
7/6/2008
Lawyer: Robert L. Bennett, Lawyer (JD) replied 9 years ago
Robert L. Bennett
Robert L. Bennett, Lawyer (JD)
Dear XXXXX:

The legal age to have sex varies with the situation, but definitely begins at 18 (for each) since they are considered adults at 18.

The legal age to have sex also is 16 of one partner, if the other is less than 5 years older.

The legal age of consent is defined as the age at which a partner to the sex act is either 18 or more, OR where one partner is 16 or above and the other is between 18 and 21.

Put the opposite, it is where 2 people, of which one, or both, is/are not at the age of 18 or more regarding a sexual relationship between the parties.

Enclosed is the   age of consent:Sex Crimes where the Victims are Minors from the Michigan Statutes.
Statutory Rape / Child Molestation
750.520b Criminal Sexual Conduct in the First Degree Any person that has sexual penetration with a person under 13 years of age; or, with a person 13+ but under 16 years old and defendant is a member of the same household as the victim, related to the victim, is in a position of authority to victim, or is employed by the school attended by the victim. (Felony punishable up to life)
750.520c Criminal Sexual Conduct in the Second Degree Any person has sexual contact with a person under 13 years of age; or, with a person 13+ but under 16 years old and defendant is a member of the same household as the victim, related to the victim, is in a position of authority to victim, or is employed by the school attended by the victim. (Felony punishable up to 15 years)
750.520d Criminal Sexual Conduct in the Third Degree Any person has sexual penetration with a person 13+ but under 16 years old; or, with a person at least 16 but less than 18 and defendant is employed by the school attended by the victim. (Felony punishable up to 15 years)
750.520d Criminal Sexual Conduct in the Fourth Degree Any person has sexual contact with a person 13+ but under 16 years old and defendant is 5+ years older than victim; or, with a person at least 16 but less than 18 and defendant is employed by the school attended by the victim. (Misdemeanor punishable up to 2 years)

Next is the Wikipedia definition of the "age of consent".
This article is about the legal concept regarding sexual activity. For other uses, see Age of consent (disambiguation).
While the phrase age of consent typically does not appear in legal statutes,[1] when used with reference to criminal law the age of consent is the minimum age at which a person is considered to be capable of legally giving informed consent to any contract or behaviour regulated by law with another person. This article refers specifically to those laws regulating sexual acts. This should not be confused with the age of majority, age of criminal responsibility, or the marriageable age.
The age of consent varies widely from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.[1] The median seems to range from 16 to 18 years, but laws stating ages ranging from 12 to 21 do exist. In many jurisdictions, age of consent is interpreted to mean mental or functional age.[2] As a result, victims can be of any chronological age if their mental age is below the age of consent.[3] Some jurisdictions forbid sexual activity outside of legal marriage completely. The relevant age may also vary by the type of sexual act, the sex of the actors, or other restrictions such as abuse of a position of trust. Some jurisdictions may also make allowances for minors engaged in sexual acts with each other, rather than a hard and fast single age. Charges resulting from a breach of these laws may range from a relatively low-level misdemeanor such as "corruption of a minor," to "statutory rape" (which is considered equivalent to rape, both in severity and sentencing).
There are many grey areas in this area of law, some regarding unspecific and untried legislation, others brought about by debates regarding changing societal attitudes, and others due to conflicts between federal and state laws. These factors all make age of consent an often confusing subject, and a topic of highly charged debates.[1]

I hope the above answers your question. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT button so that I am credited for my work, and any positive feedback, or bonuses, would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Bennett
So legally, a 16 year old and 21 year old can have sex (obviously as long as they both consent)?
Dear XXXXX:

Yes.

Again, if your are satisfied (by my answer, that is) please click the ACCEPT button. Thanks.

Bob Bennett
Robert L. Bennett
Robert L. Bennett, Lawyer (JD)
Robert L. Bennett
Robert L. Bennett
Robert L. Bennett, Lawyer (JD)