How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mr Lofton Your Own Question
Mr Lofton
Mr Lofton, Lawyer.
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1291
Experience:  30 years of experience as a counselor and trial lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Mr Lofton is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can you sue your wife or soon to be ex wife for fraud, ...

Customer Question

can you sue your wife or soon to be ex wife for fraud, embessaling and theft? Already filed the divorce papers
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Mr Lofton replied 9 years ago.

Most states you cannot sue your spouse - some states allow it but only if there is liability insurance covering the spouse you are suing. Why not get the $$ back through the divorce case, or file criminal charges and have the judge order her to make restitution in the amount she has stolen?

All the best,

Mr Lofton and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Mr Lofton's Post: how would I do that? should I wait till the divorce is over of do it very soon. What about the criminaol charges? What would I charg her with?

Expert:  Mr Lofton replied 9 years ago.

No, don't wait just ask the divorce judge to take into consideration what she did so you end up with more of the marital assets to compensate you for your loss. I wo uldn't pursue criminal charges, since a wife really can't steal from her husband.