How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 39172
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

on April 11 2006, i signed up with Humana for health

Customer Question

on April 11 2006, i signed up with Humana for health insurance, meaning to drop MedicAIRE on May 1,, Instead, I cancelled 7 days later, but Humana failed to drop me, instead billing me illegally for May and June on my credit card.. This caused Medcicaire to cancel me, but eventually allowed me to sign up again, but losing the month of May, and refusing all claims for that month.. after fighting with both Humana (whio refunded my money and wrote to Medicaire telling them that it was their error, Medicaire stil refused to pay the over $700 billed by 3 Doctors.. Then these 3 turned me over to collection agencies forcing me to pay as it would ruin my credit ratings.. Do I have any recourse against Humana for these bills and also for ruining =my credit and causing me many days and weeks of sleepless nights?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 years ago.

If Humana's failure to cancel your contract caused you an economic injury, you may be able to style your complaint such that the contract was breached by the failure, and therefore you are entitled to healthcare coverage by Humana for the losses sustained.

Ordinarily, however, Humana's negligence, if the only damage to you is economic, is not recoverable in a legal action for negligence. Negligence requires an "impact" (physical injury or property damage).

You may want to try your State Attorney General's office for this complaint:


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to socrateaser's Post: sorry i cannot accept your answer.. thank you anyway.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 years ago.

You're welcome anyway.Tongue outtitle="Tongue out" width="18" height="18"/>